Monday, November 12, 2012

My EGD Experience


Friday, I went in for my EGD, after having my preliminary consultation with the Gastrointerologyst on 10/30.  I've seen lots of questions about the EGD on here, so I thought I'd just share my experience, top to bottom.

The first thing that surprised me was that when they called me to schedule my date, they told me the hospital would call me the day before the procedure to let me know the time.  I thought that was a little strange, but apparently, that's par for the course.  I actually got the call on Wednesday afternoon, for the Friday appointment time.  Then I got a follow-up call on Thursday from admitting to get me pre-registered.  When I got done with the pre-registration, I got my second surprise: my portion was going to cost me $606.  I guess I should have expected it, because it's not exactly a copay office visit situation.  That was my 20%.

The hospital was pretty efficient.  They are notorious for bad parking, and now they have valet parking, which was very convenient.  I signed in at the information desk, and they gave me a little pager like the one's they use at restaurants.  About 5 minutes later, I got called in to admitting, got checked in and paid my fee.  I was then sent down to the GI waiting room.  In probably less than 10 minutes, they called me in to get me prepped.  I only removed my shirt, leaving on the pants, socks & shoes.  The IV was started, they took my BP and temperature, and they wheeled me into the hallway next to the room where they do the procedure.

Seeing my doctor, I said hello and commend on how good he looked that day!     In fact, I gave the same complement to each of the hospital staff.   I don't know if it helped, but it certainly didn't hurt!

Maybe 10 minutes later they wheeled a woman, passed out, from the room and another 5 minutes later, wheeled me in.  After a little light discussion, the doctor had heard enough and told the dope guy to put me out.  The last thing I remember was a slight lucid feeling and asking the dope guy, "you gave me the juice, huh?"  He confirmed, and I was out.  Just like that.

During the procedure I recall a brief moment of the bite thing in my mouth.  I'm guessing they were finishing up.  I think I remember being wheeled out, but can't quite be sure.  Seemingly moments later, I woke up, sat up, put my shirt on, and I was on my way to go get some soup.

Overall, on the day of, I had a little discomfort in my throat, not unlike when you have a cold and you get a sore throat.  I napped a bit after getting home, then in the evening, I was a little tired, but managed to busy myself and stay awake.  My throat continued to be a little sore on Saturday, but less so, and by Sunday, I was fine.

The doctor, apparently found some polyps in my stomach and took samples for biopsy.  I'm not sure when I'll hear back on that.  Does anyone have any experience with this part?

2 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well with the polyps. I can't offer any experience with those, but I'd be proactive about it. If you don't hear back by tomorrow or Wed (it shouldn't take long at all for a biopsy), I'd be calling.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polyps were good. Reflux was "grade A" - minor.

    ReplyDelete